Tuesday, November 13, 2012

That Day

Sunday started out pretty good, I had to leave for work at 9am so I was up by 7 to start my crock pot chili. Then I had my cup of coffee, did a quick blog post and got ready for work.  I got my gym clothes ready so I could go straight there after work.  I headed out and did my "sunday brunch" work thing, working my tail off to get out of there by 2:00 so I could get my workout in then Shane, Savannah and I could go to the park or do something together.  I walked out of work at 2:30 and checked my phone.  (sometimes I check it throughout my shift but that particular day I didn't) I had two text messages from Shane- "someone broke into the house" my immediate thought was, could this in any way be a joke? Were we kidding around about something like this earlier and he's just messing with me? Nope.  I called him right away and could tell this was no joke.  Someone actually broke into our home in the middle of a beautiful Sunday afternoon.  And because it was such a beautiful day we had most of our windows open enjoying the perfect weather that we get so little of.  Which, apparently was the perfect opportunity for some scumbag thief to take advantage of us.  He broke in through out master bedroom window, pulled the screen out and hopped right in, easy as that.  He then ripped off one of my clean, Downy fresh pillow cases off my neatly made bed and he threw in my newest camera and it's box. He tore threw our dresser drawers, putting his hands on all of our things and what was junk to him, he just threw on the floor. He then turned to the closet and started ripping through boxes and a bag full of old glassware that was given to us by Shane's mom. He dumped out a box full of photo albums including our beautiful wedding album, just tossed aside like garbage.  The glassware which was Shane's grandmothers was dumped on the floor so the bag they were in could be used to steal more of our belongings. Im sure it was at this point that he would have headed straight into our living room and the rest of the house however his plan was interrupted when he heard the garage door open.  Shane and Savannah were home.  This is when he freaks out, grabs the bag but leaves the pillowcase behind.  Shane gets Savannah out of her car seat and walks in the house, looks to his right and thinks to himself "oh my god, someone broke in" turns right around and heads back outside.  He was holding Savannah and thought if someone was in the house, he needed to get her out.  Smart.  Shane spotted our neighbor across the street and tells him what happened, as he's doing this he sees someone walking towards them from the side empty lot.  Shane's first thought was it was another neighbor who had been hit and he was running after the guy because this guy was breathing heavy.  Shane and Buddy ask him "did you get hit too?" The man answers "yeah, yeah" gets in his white Toyota with a lawn trailer and drives off.  It's not until the police arrive and they see the pillowcase left behind and the bag full of electronics hidden in the bushes behind our house that they realize the man, "that guy breathing heavy" was the scumbag thief.  Yes, it was.  Shane described him just as he's been described to the police before since we were the 3rd or 4th house robbed that day. Unbelievable.

So when I got home, and Shane opened the door to our room, Im pretty sure my jaw hit the floor.  I was shocked and appalled. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  I couldn't believe a stranger was in our home, in our bedroom, in our things.  I couldn't believe I was looking at fingerprint dust on our light switches and closet knobs.   I couldn't believe that I could have so easily been home when this happened.  And,  I couldn't believe how this has always been a fear of mine and it was actually coming true.  I couldn't believe all of those things.

Moving Forward~

We are trying but it's not easy.  You may think, oh it was just a break in, no one was hurt, it happens all the time.  Well, it's never happened to myself or Shane, we were hurt emotionally and my god, it's so much more then just a "break-in"  For me personally, it's all about the fear.  My fears and paranoia has been such a huge part of me since I was little.  I have always been extremely fearful of someone breaking in while Im home - not to rob us- but to harm or kill me.  It may sound crazy but it's true.  And  now I have to deal with the fact that I have to spend 7-8 hours a day in this house, alone, with Savannah.  Not easy.  We stayed with family the first 2 nights after it happened, but with a baby, it's just not realistic.  So for now- Moving Forward is this:  Hurricane shutters on the windows to ease my fears slightly and a For Sale sign going up tomorrow.  You heard right, we met with the realtor today and the house is going on the market tomorrow.  We were already working towards selling our home and this was just the kick in the ass we needed.  I understand that moving into a new home isn't going to change the fact that this could happen again, but it will help me personally.  I will never be able to walk into our bedroom and not think about the scumbag thief who was in there "that day".  We gotta do what we gotta do.  We out grew this house the day Savannah was born so we are ready in many ways.


No comments: