Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Candi's Cooking - The Winners & the Losers

Monday morning I decided to plan our dinners for the week and make my shopping list....healthy style.

For the most part, when I cook and eat at home it's pretty healthy.  (Thats why I should do it more often) But it's getting pretty difficult now that Im working 4 nights a week.  On those nights I usually end up not eating at all or stopping and picking up something.  Not good.  So I need to have a plan in place, which is cooking something during the day and bringing it to work or at least having it ready so I can eat when I get home.

I was off Mon & Tues but I have to work the rest of the week.

Monday night - Oven "Fried" Chicken with Sweet Potato Fries & Summer Squash

Let me tell you I have tried so many oven fried chicken recipes in the past and have never cared for any of them BUT this one was a hit! I loved it!! So I have to share the recipe...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/oven-fried-chicken

What I did different:
I used garlic flavored bagel chips
Left out the Cayenne (because I didn't have any)
I used regular Mayo (because I didn't have the light)
And we only cut up 2 chicken breasts (because there was only 2 of us)

The sweet potato fries were great as usual, but they only need a small amount of oil (note for next time) and sprinkle with a little salt.  I cooked these right in the oven with the chicken.

And for the veg I just sliced up a summer squash and sauteed with some oil, garlic salt & pepper.

YUM!

Last night was "healthy" Meatloaf, Cauliflower Mashed "potatoes" and corn.

Here's the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com ellie-krieger/new-classic-meatloaf

I made this just as it says and honestly I wasn't loving it.  I've made healthy meatloaf before with spinach and that was way better.  The texture was a little weird and I really didn't like the molasses in the topping. So make at your own risk.

The cauliflower mashed with good.   I really liked them but just not with the meatloaf.  Maybe with steak next time.
Here's the recipe I used as a base.  But left out the garlic, used 1% milk and light sour cream. and just a handful of cheese.

http://www.foodnetwork.neelys/mashed-cauliflower-and-cheese

By the time I got to the veg I was feeling lazy and just opened a can of corn.

While my meatloaf was cooking I whipped up some of my favorite muffins from my favorite blogger Roni -

http://greenlitebites.com banana-oatmeal-cups-with-chocolate-chips/

I've made these many times in the past and I always love them! The texture is definitely different and may take a bit to get used to.  Oats are used instead of Flour so they are more dense but I love the fresh banana flavor mixed with a bite of chocolate. This time I added some blueberries since I had some in the fridge that needed to be used. They turned out great!

The only thing I did different was use 1% milk instead of almond and I added 1 packet of sweet & low.

I have to work the rest of the week so Im going to make a Veggie Lasagna for Shane to pop in the oven tonight then I'll have some when I get home.  (i'll post the recipe later) and Thursday Im going to try a Lightened up Chicken Pot Pie recipe.  I'll let you know how that goes.

Cheers!

No comments: