Thursday, December 22, 2011

Just Keep Spinning!

So I did it.  I've been looking over the class schedule all week pondering over going to spin class.  I don't know why it's so nerve wracking to do something that I've already done before but it just is.  It's been 17 months  (that's when I found out I was pregnant) since I've......well..."spun".  I used to love it, at one point I was doing 4-5 spin classes a week.  When I find something I enjoy I always tend to "wear it out".  These classes are so intense; they dim the lights, crank up the music and you sweat. your. ass. off.  It's great.  I always walk out drenched but feeling great about all the hard work I just did.  Since Ive been back at the gym I've just been doing about 30 minutes on the elliptical and 15-20 on the treadmill then weights but I was starting to get burnt out on that so I knew it was time to mix things up.  I walked in the class feeling a little nervous and anxious but I set my bike up and waited for the instructor to ask the "is there anyone new here" question.  I answered "its been a while" so she came over and made sure I had my bike set up properly and just reassured me to try to stick with it till the end but go at my own pace.  Which is exactly what I did.  I can't tell you how surprised I was at how much I was able to do.  I was thinking it was going to be like when I did my very first class, I could only pedal standing for maybe 30 seconds, I remember feeling so embarrassed.  But today I was able to hang with most of the class, maybe not at the same speed and I did take a couple extra breaks but I stuck right in there.  It's amazing how resilient your body is!

No comments: