Friday, August 26, 2011

Emergency Room

Yes, that's where we were late yesterday afternoon.  I noticed Wednesday night that Savannah felt extremely warm; she was extra fussy and wasn't sleeping the way that she normally does.  We just chalked it up to teething because she's been showing other signs of that lately.  Then yesterday afternoon after a her nap I gave her a bottle and again she felt very warm so we decided to take her temperature.  When she was in the NICU they always had us do it in her armpit so that's what we did, it was 100.6.  I knew that anything over 100.4 was cause for concern so I called her doctor.  She said to give her Tylenol, plenty of fluids and to keep an eye on her temp.  She also said that taking her temp rectally is much more accurate.  As much as we didn't want to, we knew we had to and it came out 102.2.  I called the doctor right back and all she said was "Emergency room, take her to the emergency room"  I was scared and could feel the tears coming on.  We took her directly to Cape Coral Hospital which is only about 5-10 minutes away.  Within 20 minutes they called our name, I was shocked because the lady said there was 11 people ahead of us.  They took her temp and it was 103.0, wow...I was really getting nervous because it was rising and I know with her being so little that isn't good.  They gave her some Tylenol and we had to wait for it to kick in.  Finally they took us back again and the nurse and doctor came in, asking questions and all that.  All the while our fever stricken little one is hamming it up for both the nurse and doc.  She was just smiling away.  I asked if this could have anything to do with teething and they said the fever is a little high for teething so they went on to explain it could be a viral infection.  Then he said he wanted to check her urine for a possible UTI (urinary tract infection) I'm thinking, what?! I've never heard of a baby having that, I've had them in the past and they were very painful.  So they got a urine sample and sure enough the results came back positive for a UTI.  My poor baby.  They prescribed antibiotics and sent us on our way.  We were there a total of 3 hours and I'd say she didn't start fussing until the last half hour.  She was so good, we couldn't have asked for a better baby.  We checked on her throughout the night, she was definitely more fussy than usual and didn't sleep as well but she was ok.  I got up this morning with her and could tell she still wasn't feeling so good so I picked up her prescription, gave her a dose and now she's napping.

4 months old and already a trip to the emergency room.  Let's hope that's it for a long long time.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! I'm so glad she's doing well! Our baby girl who is a 26 weeker got a UTI while still in the NICU. I thought it was strange, but apparently it's more common than you might think. It caused all sorts of changes in her behavior including temperature oddities. Although not uncommon, i'm glad they found it early! I've heard that it can cause many more complications when not treated in a timely manner. Addy was on antibiotics for 10 days, and actually released from the NICU a 2 days later! :)

Unknown said...

I know, I never heard of a baby getting one. But when we got home I started looking it up online and it is pretty common. They said the only real recognizable symptom is a fever. Everything else like crying and being fussy, you would never really think much of. When she was in the NICU we took her temp every day but at home we don't do that. Luckily other than the fever and her being a little more fussy, it didn't seem to bother her too much. She's finished her antibiotics and seems to be back to herself :)