Friday, October 7, 2011

Mama's on a roll now!

Today I made Savannah some butternut squash, green beans and pears.

First, I started with the squash...
Cut a small portion of the end off so you will have a flat surface
to stand it up, then cut down the middle in half.

(my cutting in half didn't work out so well)

Scoop out the seeds, set aside.
Bake 350 degrees, 1 hour.  
Once cooled, scoop out flesh (should have consistency of a sweet potato)
Puree until smooth (if you want it chunkier just mash with a fork)
My 2 lb butternut squash cost $2.60, it made 8 - 1oz servings.
Oh and it tastes delicious!
<Check on baby>
Rinse and separate pulp and seeds
Bake seeds for about 10-15 minutes, add salt.
You can snack on these or add them to your salad like I did. 
Then onto green beans and pears (I didn't end up doing the apples)
After seaming and pureeing the pears, I added oatmeal to half
and to the other half I added oatmeal and applesauce. 
After pureeing the green beans I mixed half of it with rice cereal and
 to the other half I mixed in rice and applesauce for a sweeter taste.  
After dating and labeling, it's time to freeze
There's something to be said about opening your freezer
and seeing a bunch of adorable smiling faces staring at you!
I tasted everything I made today and it was all good! Not that I'll be having the green beans, oatmeal and applesauce mix for dinner or anything but I like to make sure that they at least have a nice baby friendly flavor.  

The idea for the squash came from one of my all time favorite bloggers Roni....

2 comments:

The Rice's said...

Laura said the squash looked good and wanted some. Guess I have to make her squash now. Thanks

Unknown said...

haha...the squash WAS good! I ate some and really liked it. Shane just fed her the squash tonight and he said she loved it too......looks like it's a hit all around :)